Gums TreatmentClinic in San Jose, CA
What is Pinhole Surgical Technique?
The Pinhole Surgical Technique PST™ is a procedure that is used to protect the patient's gum from receding and from any further harm.
This technique involves making a small pin sized hole in the patient's gum in order to add collagen. This collagen helps to stop the gum from receding and it stabilizes the area. This procedure is a specialty of Dr. Andirious and it is effective, minimally invasive, and suture-free method of treatment.
PST™ was developed and patented by John Chao, D.D.S. It has been featured in the International Journal of Periodontics, one of the most prestigious dentistry journals in the world.
Why is the Pinhole Surgical Procedure Necessary?
Gum recession problem occurs as a result of aging, periodontal disease, and even brushing one's teeth too hard. The problem of gum recession leaves the root of the patient's teeth exposed and this can cause decay and excessive damage over time. Thus it is necessary for the patient to seek dental help to undo this damage caused by the recession of the gum.
What is the Difference between the Pinhole Surgical Technique and Gum Grafting?
There are quite a few differences that exist between a traditional grafting procedure and the pinhole procedure. Some differences include:
- Gum grafting is a surgical procedure that involves making an incision on the roof of the patient's mouth. Another incision is made to connect the tissue and cover the exposed area of the gums. This procedure involves cutting the patient's gum and hence it takes a long time for the gum to heal.
- In the pinhole surgical technique, no incisions are required. A simple pin-sized hole is made in the gums. It is a much simpler and less invasive option to treat gum problems.
What is the Procedure for the Pinhole Surgical Technique?
This procedure is done on gums that are damaged, exposed, and have begun receding. The dentist makes a small hole in the patient's gum that is the size of a ballpoint pen. The patient's gum tissue is loosened and collagen is put through the hole. This holds the patient's gum in place and it improves the appearance of their gums significantly. This procedure is safe and unlike surgical procedures,the patient's gums do not require a long time to heal.
What are the Benefits of the Pinhole Surgical Procedure?
The benefits of this technique include:
- It is minimally invasive and causes much less pain to the patient.
- The patient does not experience any side effects like gum pain or swelling after the procedure.
- The cosmetic effects of the procedure can be seen almost immediately.
- In this procedure, one can have multiple treatments, which cannot be done in a traditional grafting procedure.
- The patient’sgum line is restored back to health and the results last for a long time.
Surgical procedures can often seem daunting, but the pinhole surgery is anything but that. This technique is extremely safe and does not cause as much pain as the traditional grafting method does. So if you wish to treat your gum recession effectively then this method is your best bet.
Before & After PST™
Dr. Andirious is a pinhole surgical treatment specialist. She uses the latest technology to give her patients the best results. To get the best treatment for gum recession, please call our San Jose office at 408-997-9027.
* Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique®™ and PST®™ are registered trademarks of John Chao DDS MAGD, 2008